February 15, 2015

Banana Cinnamon Cupcakes? Yes please!

Cheater post!  I had something different on deck for today but decided to deviate because these are too good not to share.

Yesterday morning, my son and I decided to bake up some valentines.  I absolutely love baking with my son - he's so enthusiastic to be in the kitchen and loves scooping, dumping, and stirring - such a good helper!  He wanted to make banana cupcakes, so I pulled out a recipe, made a few modifications so I could get my cinnamon fix (I LOVE CINNAMON.  Like, an UNHEALTHY amount) and we got to work!

Since it was valentine's day, I thought we may as well decorate a few up and deliver them to our friends and family!  These sweet little cupcake toppers came together in a flash, and the Alphabet Rotary Stamp let us personalize each of them!


My little dude took this one over to the girl next door - we hope she loved it!

Want to make some Banana Cinnamon Cupcakes of your own?  He's my recipe:

Banana Cinnamon Cupcakes:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3)
2 eggs

Mix the first five ingredients in a bowl.  With an electric mixer, beat sugar and margarine until creamed, then add 1/4 cup of buttermilk and bananas.  Beat for 2 minutes.  Add eggs, vanilla, and remaining buttermilk and beat.  Add dry ingredients and beat for 1 minute more.

Divide batter evenly into cupcake liners.  Bake at 350F for about 20-22 minutes until toothpick come out clean.  Cool and frost.

Commercial Frosting:  (I never use shortening for icing but this is one exception - there's something about this frosting with banana cake that is just to die for!)
1 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
4 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup milk

Beat together until smooth and fluffy.  Add extra milk by the teaspoon if necessary.

Ice cupcakes and top with a cinnamon sugar grinder.

Enjoy!

Want to make some adorable cupcake toppers?  Grab some toothpicks and check out the supply list below!  All supplies can be purchased in my Canadian Stampin' Up Online Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment